Transform your students' micro:bit modules into full-featured robots!
The cyber:bot robot adds a tangible hardware dimension to Python-focused computer science, CTE and cybersecurity programs. The cyber:bot robot puts the BBC micro:bit module on the Parallax small robot form factor that's a proven STEM success in classrooms from middle school into college, leveraging the add-ons available for this chassis. A user-transparent onboard Propeller Multicore Microcontroller assists the micro:bit, handling the real-time servo motor control and sensors built on the breadboard. This enables more robust robotic applications that go beyond what the micro:bit can do on its own.
The cyber:bot robot is a joint project of Parallax Inc. and CYBER.ORG, the adademic initiatve of the Cyber Innovation Center.
This kit does NOT include a micro:bit module; it is offered as a convenience for classrooms that already have a supply of micro:bit modules on hand. For a complete kit, purchase the cyber:bot Robot Kit with micro:bit (#32700). Purchase the micro:bit GO bundle (#32703) if a replacement module is needed.
- Python-programmable with Mu software or online MicroPython editor
- cyber:bot board neatly connects the micro:bit to the Propeller Multicore Microcontroller and robot hardware
- Propeller multicore microcontroller pre-programmed with cyber:bot firmware manages sensors and servo motor control
- Build DIY sensor circuits on the breadboard that use touch, visible light, and infrared light
- Compatible with Parallax small robot add-ons including the Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor, Ping))) Laser Sensor, QTI Line Follower Kit, and Crawler Kit
- Free online tutorials and educator resources - see the cyber:bot Tutorial Series
- Note: The initial Spring launch of cyber:bot includes software setup, micro:bit programming, assembly instructions, and basic navigation. Additional tutorials with circuit-building for all of the kit’s sensors will be published periodically, with a full 40-hour set of classroom tutorials available for the Fall 2019 semester.
Requires 5 AA 1.5 V alkaline batteries or 5 1.2 V nickel-metal hydride rechargeable batteries, not included. Assembly required, no soldering necessary.
- (1) cyber:bot board (#32702)
- (2) Parallax Continuous Rotation Servos (#900-00008)
- (1) Small Robot Electronics Pack (#572-28132)
- (1) Small Robot Hardware Pack (#570-35000)
- (1) 5AA Battery Holder, Barrel Jack (#753-00007)
- (1) USB A to Micro B Cable (#805-00016)
- Nuts and screw set to hold boards together
- Parallax Pocket Screwdriver (#700-00064)
This kit does NOT include a micro:bit module. For a complete kit, purchase the cyber:bot Robot Kit with micro:bit (#32700). Purchase the micro:bit GO bundle (#32703) if a replacement module is needed.
Webinar: Getting Started with Python, Micro:bit, cyber:bot - 10.84 MB | updated: 15 Jan 2020 - 10:04 am
Scope & sequence for cyber:bot robot with micro:bit - 90.87 KB | updated: 07 Oct 2019 - 4:50 pm
cyberbot library (Python) - 425.06 KB | updated: 03 Apr 2019 - 1:38 pm
cyber:bot Board Product Guide - 585.44 KB | updated: 28 Feb 2019 - 2:02 pm
Webinar - cyber:bot for micro:bit Preview - 6.1 MB | updated: 24 Jan 2019 - 4:49 pm