Have an Arduino Uno? Make it the onboard brain of a mobile robot! Learn robotics, electronics, and programming with this versatile kit and its accompanying step-by-step lessons. The Board of Education Shield plugs into your own Arduino (not included) and mounts on the popular Boe-Bot robot chassis, to make a Shield-Bot.
With this kit and your own Arduino module, you can follow the Robotics with the Board of Education Shield for Arduino lessons with over 40 hands-on activities.
The original Robotics with the Boe-Bot text for the BASIC Stamp® microcontroller has enjoyed worldwide popularity with teachers and hobbyists, and has been translated into seven languages. Author Andy Lindsay revised his work for the Arduino community, and Parallax Inc. is making it available as a free, online tutorial at http://learn.parallax.com/ShieldRobot. Additionally, Chromebook schools may request an edu.codebender license key for their Shield-Bot robots.
(Don't have an Arduino Uno? Get the Robotics Shield With Arduino instead. That one includes the Uno & programming cable.)
- Beginner-friendly - No programming experience needed
- Open platform - Exposed circuitry allows you to learn and create your own electronic circuits
- Solder-free - Experiment with custom circuits on the breadboard (no special-brand connectors)
- Understandable - Free, easy-to-follow web tutorials and example code downloads
- Autonomous - Touch, light and infrared sensors let the Shield-Bot navigate on its own
- Expandable - Additional sensors and hardware expansion kits are available to get the most out of your robot
The tutorial will walk you through the following:
- Learning to program your robot's Arduino Brain
- Calibrating the robot's continuous rotation servo motors
- Using lights and speakers for status indicators
- Assembling the robot
- Preprogrammed navigation
- Using touch-switches to navigate by contact with objects
- Using phototransistors to navigate by light
- Using non-contact infrared sensors to measure distance and avoid or follow objects
- Board of Education Shield PCB
- High-quality aluminum robot chassis, continuous rotation servos, and wheels
- 5-cell AA battery pack
- All the electronic components and sensors needed for the Robotics activities
- All the assembly hardware needed (nuts, screws, and standoffs)
- Parallax Screwdriver
Note: RobotC works with this kit. Your own Arduino Uno, Mega, or Duemilanove module and programming cable are required; not included.
Shield-Bot with Arduino Scope & Sequence - 103.03 KB | updated: 09 Oct 2019 - 4:00 pm
Robotics with the BOE Shield-Bot for Arduino Tutorial Code - 157.38 KB | updated: 30 Sep 2016 - 3:34 pm
Robotics with the Board of Education Shield for Arduino - 11.95 MB | updated: 03 Nov 2016 - 4:11 pm
Board of Education Shield Schematic - 54.74 KB | updated: 09 Jul 2014 - 4:11 pm
Parallax Small Robot Comparison Chart - 468.42 KB | updated: 27 Mar 2019 - 2:41 pm
Board of Education Shield (for Arduino) Product Guide - 480.38 KB | updated: 24 Sep 2012 - 10:02 pm